Friday, September 26, 2008

Thoughtful Thursday: Seizing Heaven

Okay. I wasn't feeling so "thoughtful" last night after a busy week at work. I actually did not get on the computer at all last night when I got home, which is rare. So ... here goes ... one day late.

This chapter talks about how raising children teaches us to listen to God. Listening is a constant refrain in the teachings of Jesus.
  • "Listen and understand." Matt. 15:10.
  • "He who has ears to hear, let him hear." Mark 4:9.
  • "My sheep listen to my voice." John 10:27.
While most Christians don't actively rebel against God, we do ignore him and that offends him just as much as refusing to obey. Humble people listen; prideful people never seem to have the time to wait on God.

How do we discern God's voice? God won't speak contrary to his Word. In the large majority of cases, God follows common sense. And, God has given us the church (i.e., other believers) to help us discern his words. That is why Christian fellowship is so important.

How does parenting teach us to listen to God? As parents, we constantly fail, fell overwhelmed, etc. By raising kids, we seek God on a daily, if not hourly basis. If we are constantly checking in with God on a daily basis, we get used to listening and don't panic when big decisions come along.

How does God speak to us? Through his word. Nature. Silence. Dreams. The ranting of a child. A great work of art. A majestic piece of music, or a particular circumstance in life. I love the current song on CCM radio by Mandisa entitled "God Speaking". It makes me want to become more aware of my surroundings. Pay attention to everything around me. God is everywhere and in everything that happens to us. There is no limit to what he will do to get our attention. I need to humble myself, realize my weaknesses, seek God and LISTEN.

No comments: