Thursday, November 27, 2008

A Thanksgiving Post

Creative title ... I know. I am pooped and my brain just isn't working. I am listening to Harry Connick, Jr.'s new Christmas CD while I write. It's not my fave yet, but it's very "jazzy". Thanksgiving officially ushers in the Christmas season at our house and I have "permission" from Will to listen to Christmas music. (I have secretly been listening to it in my car since Halloween.)

I love Thanksgiving. The food ... the family time ... reflecting on what I am thankful for ... the food. However, I did a pretty stinky job of teaching Claire about the importance of this holiday this year. I just couldn't get my act together. I was all on top of Halloween, but Thanksgiving snuck up on me. To her, the holiday is all about Turkey (one for her and one for my niece Evie), no nap, lots of sweets, and a trip to the grandparents' houses. We are paying dearly for the "no nap" part ... as I type, Claire is still awake upstairs and it is almost 10pm.)
Despite our crazy-hectic day, I did get to reflect on my many blessings. I am thankful for ...

(1) My sweet husband ... who got up at 5am to fry turkeys this morning for our thanksgiving dinner. (I took this photo at 7am when I woke up.)
(2) My precious children and their sweet personalities, their health and their zeal for life.
(3) My loving mother ... who always sets a beautiful table, but has an equally beautiful heart.


(4) God's provision ... for our very basic needs (e.g., food) and the very desires of our hearts.


(5) Fellowship with our family around a table full of food.




(6) Friends (and family). David, Evie, Ian and Claire. We were singing "If you're happy and you know it."
(7) My sister ...

and her family.
(7) Grandparents!


(8) R&R ... Poppy took a nap during the Titans game. David and Will perused the sales ads.


(9) Meme is thankful for Uncle Jon and his computer skills. Bless his heart, every time he comes to their house, he has to do something to their computer!


There are so many more things that I have to be thankful for ... too many to list. I hope that you and yours are equally blessed and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: