Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What's Cooking Wednesday?

Back after a short hiatus. I know all two of you who read this blog have been sitting on the edge of your seat waiting on a new recipe from my culinary genius. If you really like to cook (and eat), you should check out this and this recipe blogs. (I know that was grammatically incorrect, but I needed two spots to add the link and "these" wasn't going to cut it.)

I have a treat for you today ... three meals in one. Sort of. You only really have to cook once. The second and third meals only involve heating and stirring and shaking. Sounds fun, huh!?!

Two of these meals are really healthy. The third, not so healthy.

Meal 1: Alabama Roast
3-lb. top round roast
2T. Worcestershire sauce
2T. soy sauce
1/2t. garlic salt
1/2t. pepper
Place roast in slow cooker. Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl and pour over roast. Cover and cook 8-10 hours on low or 6-8 hours on high.
Serves 2 adults. Save leftover meat for meals 2 and 3.

Meal 2: Beef & Bacon Spinach Salad
1-lb. roast, shredded
1 pkg. already cooked bacon, crumbled
1 bag baby spinach
1/2 head lettuce, shredded
1 sweet apples, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
toasted walnuts
Dressing: 1/4c. vinegar, 1/2c. olive oil, 1/2t. salt, 1/2t. dry mustard, 2t. Splenda.
Heat beef in microwave for 2-3 minutes. Toast walnuts on middle rack under broiler. Heat bacon and crumble. Combine dressing ingredients in separate container. (I usually combine in an old jelly jar and shake well.) Toss all ingredients with dressing. Yield: 3-4 servings.

Meal 3: Beef & Rice
Combine leftover beef with can of mushroom gravy. Heat well. Prepare brown or white rice according to package directions. Serve beef & gravy over rice. Fix a green veggie and rolls and voila!

This third meal was my own creation. I'm sure you couldn't tell. I really don't care because it cost me zero dollars and zero cents since I used leftover beef and stuff I keep as staples in my pantry anyway.

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

phillips phamily said...

Can you post about how you pick a roast? I know that sounds dumb, but I always feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette when it comes to picking out a piece of beef. What's the name? Rump? Butt? What? What does it look like? What should I avoid?

You can stop laughing now.