Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Washing Machine Woes

You might remember when I wrote about my stinky washing machine here.

After a lot of Internet research and tips from friends, here is what I came up with. I ran a cycle on hot water and added 1 cup of baking soda. This seemed to do the trick.

For those clothes that already smelled like mildew because they were (1) washed in the stinky washer or (2) damp items that weren't washed soon enough (e.g., towels and swimsuits from a day at the pool, sweaty workout clothes thrown into the hamper), I poured 1/4 cup of white vinegar directly into the wash with the load of clothes/towels, etc. That seemed to do the trick to eliminate the smell. And, surprisingly, my clothes did not smell like vinegar.

(NOTE: the vinegar trick also works when you are washing colors that bleed, like reds or you could use those handy SHOUT color catcher sheets, which are a staple at my house.)

Despite the fact that I no longer have a stinky washing machine, I am still dreaming of these ...

In the words of Snow White (which I've seen A LOT of lately), "one day my prince will come".

1 comment:

Darby said...

Hey Susan, Got your message... their haircuts are NO maintenance. I don't do anything but wash it and brush it. I don't even blow dry it. The keep is to have the ends tapered so that it naturally turns under. A blunt cut would equal maintenance... but really, it's SO easy. No tangle, no hair in face.. we love it! Thanks for your comment!