Sunday, January 24, 2010

I feel like chicken tonight ...

No menu plan this week because either Will or I have something almost every night this week and the kids are going to visit their grandparents in Alabama this weekend so we can go out to eat 2 nights in a row (with friends). Here are some recipe links for a few yummy eats that we had this week.

Mushroom Chicken Parmesan with mushroom rice. I found this recipe online Thursday morning and decided to veer from the menu plan and make this for dinner instead. The nice thing about this recipe is that it called for things I always keep on hand in my pantry and fridge. (In theory anyway.) It made quite a fancy meal served with green beans, rolls and a bottle of Chardonnay. BTW, to make mushroom rice, I sauteed a 12oz. pkg. of fresh sliced mushrooms with butter and then mix with a box of prepared brown rice.

Pumpkin Spice cake. This is an easy breezy dessert and I actually bought the ingredients to make it back in the fall, but never got around to making it. Good thing cake mix and canned pumpkin have a long shelf-life. To make this cake, mix one box spice cake mix, one 15oz. can pumpkin and 3 eggs. Pour into greased bundt pan and bake at 350* for 45-50 minutes (until cake tester or toothpick comes out clean). Sprinkle with powdered sugar or make this yummy cream cheese glaze: 1/2 c. cream cheese frosting (from the can), 2-3T. milk and 1/4t. cinnamon. Stir all glaze ingredients together and drizzle over cake (add more milk if needed to get it to drizzling consistency).

The best chocolate sheet cake. EVER. Click on the link for step-by-step instructions from Pioneer Woman. I took this to a party on Friday night and it was a hit. We are still munching on the leftovers. I will pay for it in the gym this week, but it is WORTH EVERY BITE!

Egg-In-A-Hole. Another recipe from Pioneer Woman. I made this for breakfast on Saturday morning. I used homemade sourdough bread that we bought from a local bakery for $1.50/loaf. (This particular bakery supplies bread to Cracker Barrel restaurants.) It was greasy, but good. Make sure the skillet is hot enough to toast your bread but not overcook your egg. (Mine was a little well-done, but Will likes it that way. I like the runny yolk.) Best made in an iron skillet, which I apparently don't have. I will have to lift one from my mother or mother-in-law's house next time I am there. They both have plenty.

No comments: