Thursday, June 17, 2010

Summer Sewing Goals

Goals are good. Especially when the birth of your third child is quickly approaching.

Accountability is good too, which is why I am posting my goals for the world to see.

Most of the things I want to finish are works in progress just sitting around in my sewing room. I have a sinking feeling if I don't finish them now, before baby #3 rocks our world, they will be worn by my grandchildren and not my own children. Ha!

(1) Put elastic in waistband and hem shorts. (DONE ... I took all these pictures on Saturday so I have made a little progress since then.) (I love marking things off a list.)

(2) Smocked insert top/ruffled knee-length bloomers for Claire. I love this pink and green together. It screams summer! I just learned how to picture smock in a class I took earlier this month and I am currently obsessed. Plus, it gives me something to do while I sit around and watch TV at night, which is about all I have the energy to do right now.

I have finished smocking the snail since I took this picture. Like I said, I'm currently obsessed. If you want to smock, but think it is too time consuming, do a small picture window insert instead of the full insert. I only had to smock one snail.

I plan on using this pattern: "Hallie" by Bonnie Blue.

(3) Smocked picture window romper for David. I made this outfit in a class last fall. It's a 2T so I knew David wouldn't wear it until end of this summer, early fall. I smocked the insert in the picture smocking class I took. The outfit still needs a finished collar, sleeves and sides/legs sewn up. The hard part, the smocking, is finished though. (As Martha Stewart would say, that is a "good thing".)

A close up of the smocking. I'm pretty proud of my first picture smocking project. By the way, that blue line in the center will wash off with water.

(4) Ava top and skirt for Claire. Isn't this fabric just gorgeous? I think so. I may need to make something for myself out of it! The white fabric is kind of sheer and has white on white stripes in it. Do you think they make this pattern in adult size? They should.

(5) This will be a short romper. How old does that pattern look? Believe it or not, it's still in print! I smoked this insert in September 2008 when we drove to Orlando. Oh my word ... it's about time I did something with it. I hope to make this into a 2T (I can't remember what size I blocked the insert) and it will probably be saved for the baby to grow into since David has more clothes than he needs right now. I might let him model it for you when it is finished though.

(6) This little dress is the Miss Mary pattern by The Handmade Dress. I don't love this dress, but I'm sure it will be cute on. Since the picture, it now has a sash out of the coordinating green fabric tied around the waist. The only thing left to do on this project is add a hook at the side (in case the sash comes untied) and finish the ends of the sash.

(7) and (8) More gorgeous fabric. This will be a round-neck dress for Claire. I have quite a bit of this fabric left over because I wasn't sure what I would use it for when I bought it. I think I am going to try and make a maternity top for myself. I found a free pattern and pattern modification instructions for a super cute top here. (I may need to move this project to the top of my list!)


My goal is to have all of these projects finished by the end of July. (I realize this is pretty unrealistic, but let's roll with it.) Will has promised me some sewing time this weekend while he watches the U.S. Open on television. We'll see how much I get accomplished.

I would like to spend August working on a couple of projects for the baby. Since the baby is not getting a new nursery (he is getting David's old nursery which I still totally love), I felt like I needed to get a few new things for him.

(1) I plan to update the infant carrier that was used by both Claire and David with a new infant car seat cover. (I will be using different fabric.)
(2) Last project is the urban diaper bag. I will probably use the same fabric as the car seat cover, which I need to pick out soon!


No comments: